Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Journey to France

I landed in Toulouse, France on Wednesday March 10th at 3:30 or so in the afternoon. Luckily I was still functioning surprisingly well, considering I had been flying for 15 hours across an eight hour time change. I was greeted at the airport by a very friendly Israeli cyclist who is riding in the area on a French team. We located my baggage and mon velo (my bike - have to learn that French phrase quickly) and headed to Limoux, where I will be living for the next 4 and a half weeks. These tree-lined sections of road are scattered throughout the towns and act as sort of natural entryways into the little villages along the French country-side. The roads are narrow and the cars are few and far between - as a cyclist, I already love it! This picture to the right is the view to the right out my front door. Obviously the streets are extremely narrow so navigating around town has been exciting to say the least :) The picture below and to the left is the front door of our house. This has been a hotel to a long list of famous cyclists including Olympic champions Sarah Ulmer (New Zealand) and Nicole Cooke (Great Britain), World champions Amber Neben (USA), Marion Clignet (France), and Elizabeth Chevanne (France),as well at least 15 national champions of Canada, New Zealand, France, Israel and Belgium. It is a true cycling house complete with bike hooks in the kitchen, two fridges, washer, dryer and posted translation notes of French phrases on the walls. The house is conveniently located at the edge of the town square (only 100 meters from our door). Today was our first long ride and we finished a perfect, beautiful day with a petit chocolat as a boisson du recuperacion (recovery drink) at the cafe around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great place to spend some quality time. Nice effort on getting coach hooked up with Skype. I did a WebEx meeting with him yesterday. He will become a techno-geek soon enough.

    ReplyDelete