Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Annie F. @ Ronde Van Brisbane

W3, 3/29/09
2nd of 20-25(?)
Teammates: None
Course: 1.7 mile circuit- 1k downhill with a couple tight turns, followed by
a gradual uphill to a "hilltop" finish

This race was somewhat of an after thought- it was added to my racing
calender last week as a good opportunity to grab some upgrade points. The
course suited me well- a decent climb with a hilltop finish. Gotta love
those :)

I warmed up for the race and felt the fatigue of the previous day's BtC TT
and 1.5 hr ride. Luckily the race started out at a very manageable pace, so
I had time to continue warming up and scope out the course and riders. I
had been warned that timing the sprint at this race would be difficult
because I would need to start sprinting before I could see the finish line.
I found a spot that was roughly 200m away from the finish to keep in mind
for the final lap.

There were two large teams represented in the field, so I decided to not
waste too much of my energy on the front. I found that I lost my position
on the downhill, but always found a good wheel to save energy for the
uphill, where I had no trouble moving up. Besides one solo effort, the
pelaton stayed together for the entirety of the race which set me up for my
favorite kind of the sprint: the uphill kind. I had expected riders to jump
early, but found just the opposite to be true. I stayed second row during
the climb, but found that all the girls on the front were riding abreast and
blocking any attempt to start a sprint. Finally, the field shattered and I
managed to pick my way through to the line (just about in the gutter) in a
close second.

All in all, a good race- complete with Thin Mints and $$$ :)

Anne Fulton
Bates College '08

http://anniefulton.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment