Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cherry Pie 2/7

Race Report: Cherry Pie Criterium
2/7/10 2:10pm
Women’s Pro 1,2,3/35+
Teammates: Maura Kinsella, Lindsay Meyers (Webcor Builders)
Place: Lauren – 2/35, Maura – 11/35, Lindsay - 9/35

It was like the weather knew this was the first race of the year. We had a bright, sunny day with temperatures in the high 50’s. Perfect racing conditions. There was a slight head wind on the second half of the course. We arrived VERY early and watched Coach Dan kick butt in the 45+ Masters race. We warmed up in the sunshine and then headed to the start, leg-warmerless and arm-warmerless, showing off our winter white legs.

We started with about 35 women (plus some masters). The first lap was relatively uneventful as everyone checked out the course. Then the fun started. Tibco came with four riders and spent most of the race attacking the field, trying to get off in pairs. While there were several groups that could have put some time into the field, nothing stuck. I made every effort to follow all attacks that included Tibco or any other rider that I knew could hold off the field. A little over half-way through the race, a Specialized rider made a great attack and immediately gapped the field considerably. Tibco let her dangle out there but I knew if anyone could stay out in the wind it was her so Lindsay and I tried to jump start a chase. Several times, Tibco tried to bridge but either myself or another rider were all over it. Eventually the attacks were enough to close the gap and we brought her back. Then there was 5 to go and I was sure there would be a bunch kick for the finish.

Tibco set up on the front with three to go and I was close behind. A crash around the 180 turn at the top of the hill with one to go put a small gap in the field. I crossed it and got back into position with Lindsay’s help. We made the last two turns and the final leg of the lead-out took off. I watched Brooke and as soon as she launched I did as well. Unfortunately, I didn’t maintain as good a position as I should have and had to sprint around the lead-out rider. Brooked maintained a 5 bike length gap on me and took first. I crossed in second the sound of the announcer saying, “...some Webcor jersey”. Even though I was gassed I let out a laugh. That’s my secret code name from now on... “some Webcor jersey”. It was a fun race (with an even more fun prize) and great to see fellow women in green (and Sport Velo red). I’m looking forward to a great season!

No comments:

Post a Comment