Monday, July 26, 2010

Cascade Stage Race

A summary of the Cascade Stage Race from Ange. This is her last NRC race in the US, and we are sorry to say that she is going back to Australia next week. She will be missed! Congrats, Ange, on all your racing in the US, and we hope to see you next year!
__________________________

Cascade...Down and Dusted!

Cascade Classic in Bend, OR, 6 day stage race went from the 20th-25th of July, this was to be my last NRC race in the states and was excited to give it everything. Coming off two weeks in Canada racing two three day stage races, I was hoping I had enough money in the bank to get some good performances out at Bend. Unfortunately my bank wanted to shut up shop early before the first half of my season ended and Cascade was a big struggle, however I got through it!

The Prologue was a short 3mile flat and technical course. I discovered I broke my bike before the stage, cracking the steer tube. The first road race took us over 116k with two decent burgs. The first broke the field and I found my way into the second group which became the groupetto which crossed the line 15minutes down from the girls up front. Stage 2 was a 16mile out n back TT. This was the worst TT I had ever done. I struggled the whole couldn’t find a rhythm, my legs were dead. The next road race stage 3 I didn’t expect much due to my performance the previous day. However I made it halfway up with the leaders on the last climb over the approx 115k stage. I think the mental blow of yesterday didn’t serve me well today. Stage 4 the hopes of legs coming back to me was gone out the window and I knew this from when I woke up. I just hanged on the back of the pack the whole race, milking everything from a very empty set of legs. To no surprise going into the 5 stage to be honest DNF was scrolling through my mind after last night’s down town Criterium. However my legs found me on the 51 mile circuit race containing two less than a mile steep climbs. I had the kick to go with the girls on the climb, chased a few unsuccessful breakaways, and ended up crossing the line with what was left of the front group!

Despite the bursts of hope throughout the tour I just didn’t have the legs to get the result I was chasing.

Looking forward to spending my last week in California resting up and being a tourist!

Till next time

Ange


Follow the Webcor/Alto Velo Bridge Team:

– http://facebook.com/avbridge
– http://avbridge.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment