Sunday, March 7, 2010

Merco Grand Prix Race Report

Race Report: Merco Road Race
W 1,2,3
Teammates: Maura Kinsella
Place: Lauren 7th/62, Maura 58th/62

Merco is one of my favorite road races in California. The course is perfect: flat to rolling with a very interesting finish. After a short warm up I lined up next to Ina Teutenberg. After a short, goggly-eyed introduction, I tried to focus on the race.

There were several attacks on the first lap. A few things got away for a short time but nothing really stuck for long. My order of events is a little fuzzy so from here on most moments are in no particular order... Ina attacked the field and got of solo probably for about 20 minutes or so. Up until then I had been sitting in, hiding from the wind but saw the chance to open up my legs and test the field. I knew there was no way I was going to catch Ina as she was at least 20 seconds off the field (not to mention she is insanely strong). But, I decided to attack the field anyway to see if, by chance, they would let me try. No cheese. Now my legs were feeling opened up, though.

The rest of the race unfolded much like the first lap. Columbia and Tibco were making sure they knew who was where and if they knew the breaks were no threat they let them dangle for a bit. The Webcor gals had an AWESOME race. They attacked the field more than any other team and with only three riders. Unfortunately nothing stuck but they certainly kept it interesting.

The last lap came around and we were still grupo compacto. Again Webcor attacked like crazy which kept the pace up and the race safer (for the most part). I made sure to pay attention to the great sprinters in the field: Shelley Evans, Brooke Miller, Ina Teutenberg and more. I tried to hold a position in their near vicinity and most of the second half of the lap we all formed a little pocket in the sweet spot. Things got hectic as the lead-outs tried to get organized and every solo rider was fighting to join the party.

On the downhill into the left hand turn to the Merco feed zone hill, I made my move to get to the front. From that point it was on. I did the best I could to stay in the frontish end of the field and managed to do ok with the help of Lindsay Meyers (Webcor). Crossing the bridge I heard a crash behind me and had a feeling Maura was in it. Between the final left, then right hand turns I could tell the right side of the road (where I was) was getting jammed up. Just then I hear Ally Stacher (Webcor) yell from the left side and look over to see her blocking a space for me to squeeze by. I made it over with Lindsay’s help and sprinted like hell up the final hill. I made it over on the wheel of a Colavita rider who was on the wheel of a Touchstone rider. We sprinted seated and FINALLY hit the 200 meter sign. Those had to be 200 of the longest meters EVER. I didn’t have anything left to jump around the two girls ahead of me so we rolled in for 5th, 6th, and 7th behind Ina Teutenberg, Shelley Evans, Kelly Benjamin and Brooke Miller. Not a bad day considering those four names...

Unfortunately Maura was taken out from behind by a couple of riders on the bridge and broke her new Specialized frame and took a nice chunk out of her elbow. Luckily no bones were broken, though. She had an AWESOME race patrolling the front and maintaining great position throughout the day. This is going to be a very fun year!

--Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment